The group is committed to the highest level of corporate governance and the implementation of effective structures, policies and practices that improve corporate governance and create sustainable value for our shareholders and other stakeholders.
Through the blend of specialist disciplines within the corporate governance department the board and management are supported in embedding best governance principles and practices throughout the group.
The board is of the opinion that the group currently complies with all significant governance principles in King III and that the Group complies with all significant requirements of the JSE Listings Requirements.
Our corporate governance practices are continually being reviewed and improved by benchmarking against internationally accepted best practices and King III. We are pleased that the group’s commitment to governance has been recognised externally as follows:
- we achieved an “Excellent” rating in the Ernst & Young survey of annual reports of the top 100 companies for the fifth successive year;
- we won the International Responsible Retailer of the Year 2010 for the second time in three years;
- we were named one of the sustainability champions of the developing world by the World Economic Forum
- We are included in the Dow Jones World Sustainability Index (DJSII)
- winner of the President’s Award by South Africa’s Association for Food Science and Technology;
- second in the Carbon Disclosure Project Leadership index; and
- Included in the JSE SRI index for 2010 and named as one of the best performers.